Teresa’s Pumpkin Chili
Summary: Hearty, nutritious chili rich with autumn’s warm colours and flavours.
- 250 grams peeled & cubed pumpkin
- 1 cup water
- 150 grams sirloin beef sliced, optional
- 2 cloves garlic chopped 1 clove pressed
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 small red onion chopped
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon or more of lemon zest
- 1teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- salt to taste
- 1 large red capsicum roughly chopped
- ¼ cup frozen corn
- 1 cup broccoli broken into small pieces.
- 1 cup of cooked beans, black or kidney
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cilantro or parsley
- Walnut pieces for each serving
- Simmer butternut squash (pumpkin) in stock along until slightly soft, but not mushy.
- Sauté the beef strips in a little oil if you are using them.
- Sauté onions, pepper, 2 cloves of chopped or pressed garlic and spices in oil. This can go in with the beef after it’s partially cooked.
- Puree half of the cooked pumpkin along with 1/4 cup water from pot and one clove of pressed garlic.
- Add the puree, pumpkin cubes, corn, broccoli, and beans to the onion mixture and cook over low heat until broccoli is cooked as preferred. Add more of the cooking water as needed to make the sauce.
- Turn off heat and add the lemon juice, salt, pepper and parsley or cilantro.
- Sprinkle a few walnut pieces over each serving
- Serve with whole grain bread or brown rice.
The meat is optional!
2 Sweet potatoes can be used in place of the squash.
Sometimes I add a few tomato wedges,
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Copyright © Teresa Thompson 2012.
Microformatting by hRecipe.